January 6th was another dark day in America.
People across the country — and the world — watched as white supremacists, incited by the white supremacist-in-chief, Donald Trump, carried out an attack inside our nation’s Capitol.
Unlike our peaceful protests in the name of Black lives, which were met with guns, teargas, and rubber bullets, these white supremacists were able to walk onto the House and Senate floors, break into offices, and steal and deface government property — all while law enforcement posed for selfies with them.
It was treasonous. But we know all too well that it was not the first time white nationalists have sought to overthrow our democracy. Nor was it the first time this president has enabled white supremacists — but it is a stark reminder that our democracy is never guaranteed. It’s something we must fight for, especially in this moment.
Below is our full list of 6 demands for accountability for this moment. It is critical that public outcry continues for each and every one of them.
- Impeach, convict, and ban Trump from future political office: Every second that Trump remains in office is a threat to our democracy. We are joining Rep. Ilhan Omar, Rep. Ayanna Pressley, Rep. Cori Bush, Rep. Jamaal Bowman, and others who are demanding Trump be immediately impeached and convicted in the United States Senate. Trump must also be banned from holding elected office in the future. Call your members of Congress and demand they support impeachment by dialing (202) 224-3121.
- Expel Republican members of Congress who attempted to overturn the election and incited a white supremacist attack: More than half the Republican representatives and multiple senators stoked Trump’s conspiracy theories and encouraged the white supremacists to take action to overturn the election. We are supporting Rep. Cori Bush’s resolution to expel them from Congress for their dangerous and traitorous actions.
- Launch full investigation into the ties between Capitol Police and white supremacy: The Capitol was able to be breached and overrun by white supremacists attempting to disrupt a political process that is fundamental to our democracy. We know that police departments have been a safe haven for white supremacists to hide malintent behind a badge, because the badge was created for that purpose. Guilty parties need to be held accountable and fired. We are supporting Rep. Jamaal Bowman’s COUP Act to investigate these connections.
- Permanently ban Trump from all digital media platforms: Trump has always used his digital media platforms recklessly and irresponsibly to spread lies and disinformation. Now it is clearer than ever that his digital media is also used to incite violence and promote its continuation. He must be stopped from encouraging his mob and further endangering our communities, even after inauguration.
- Defund the police: The police that met our BLM protestors this summer with assault rifles, tear-gas, and military-grade protective gear were the same police that, on Wednesday, met white supremacists with patience and the benefit of the doubt, going so far as to pose for selfies with rioters. The contrast was jarring, but not for Black people. We have always known who the police truly protect and serve. D.C. has the most police per capita in the country; more funding is not the solution.
- Pass the BREATHE Act: The police were born out of slave patrols. We cannot reform an institution built upon white supremacy. We need a new, radical approach to public safety and community investment. The BREATHE Act paints a vision of a world where Black lives matter through investments in housing, education, health, and environmental justice.
Last week, we shared that we were deeply disturbed and horrified. We still are.
But just like we always do, we turn to our beloved community. We support one another. We step up and take care of each other. And that’s exactly what we are doing in this moment.
We are still healing, but we are also still fighting. For the fundamental promise of this democracy — that we choose our government. Thank you for staying in the fight.